Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Perfect You by Elizabeth Scott

There is nothing perfect about Kate's life. Her dad just quit his job to sell crappy, infomercial Perfect You vitamins, she has to work-for no pay- at the hideous vitamin stand, and her best friend has become popular and doesn't even give Kate the time of day. If things couldn't get any worse they do. Her family is quickly falling into debt and then her pot-stirring grandmother has moved in with her family and is anxious to bash Kate's father at any opportunity that she gets. Then there's Will. He has a reputation of being a player, but when him and Kate start having secret make-out sessions behind the mall she hopes that maybe they're something different, after all Will is the only one who doesn't joke her about her dad's job. Even though Kate loves making out with Will, she doesn't want to like him. She's afraid that she'll just be another check on his never ending list of girls. What's a girl like Kate to do?

This was an amazing book. Kate's voice was so honest and heartfelt that I instantly got drawn into the book. I loved how the issues Kate faced were the issues normal teens face. There wasn't any of the fake drama that I sometimes find in teen books, which was completely refreshing. Kate was also hilarious. Her sarcastic remarks, especially the ones directed at Will, had me laughing extremely hard. Will was also a great character. He sounded so completely crush-worthy and honest, that I had a hard time not wishing he were real. Not only were the characters great and easy to relate to, but Elizabeth Scott's writing style was awesome. There was something about the way the words flowed on the page that really jumped out at me. While reading Perfect You I felt like I was so connected to the story that I never wanted it to end. I haven't read any of Elizabeth's other books, but I can certainly tell you I will be now! All in all this was a fantastic book that I highly recommend to any teen regardless of reading level or interests to pick up and read. It will give you a look into the real eyes of a teenager and know that you aren't alone in the problems you face.

8 comments:

the story siren said...

i can't wait to read this!! i've heard such good things about it!

Anna said...

I have this from Pulse It to read, but I haven't gotten to it yet -- this makes me really want to read it now! I read Bloom last week, and it was really good, also. And you need to check out Stealing Heaven when it comes out - I read it for First Look and it was absolutely amazing. I couldn't put it down. :D

hope.

Rachael Stein said...

i think i'm gonna borrow this from my friend, it sounds really good :D

Keri Mikulski said...

This sounds like a good one. Can't wait to read it.

Madison said...

I totally loved this book, and I think your review was very good.

Steph said...

Hey Tasha, just so you know, I don't like you one bit for having gotten hold of this book before me :P

Sure, let's do blog links switcharoo! Just added you!

Barrie said...

Thanks for the review. I've been wondering about this book. And now I'll read it!

Bethykinz said...

Ehmagawd YOU must read Twilight next it is an ah-mazing book sooooo good and addicting! Anyways I heart your book reviews!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin