Wednesday, March 10, 2010

What Would Emma Do by Eileen Cook

The golden rule of friendship: “Thou Shalt Not Kiss Thy Best Friend’s Boyfriend.” Well Emma seems to have forgotten this one simple rule and the thing is she’s forgotten it before. It doesn’t take time for her best friend to find out and soon the whole small town knows about it too. Now her best friend is furious with her, her relationship with her best guy friend has gotten kind of weird, and in her ultra religious town she is having a hard time figuring out quite what to do (can anyone say WWJD?) and where she can fit in. With this entire ordeal going on, Emma isn’t sure how she’s going to have a good senior year, especially trying to please everyone and hopefully getting the idea of kissing unmentionable people out of her mind. Not to mention that she’s on the verge of a huge social disaster. Maybe its finally time for her to think more “What Would Emma Do?” then “What does everyone want Emma to do?”

Ahh this book had me in fits of laughter. Every little bit of it was great and I thoroughly enjoyed the story. Emma’s character was great and her whole story just clicked for me and as I said before, I found myself liking it a lot. One aspect of the book that I really enjoyed was the letters Emma wrote to God. They were funny and thoughtful and really helped the reader understand Emma in a whole new way. Much of the plot was unexpected and I enjoyed how it was a religious comedy, without being in your face. The characters were well developed, especially Emma. I just could not get enough of her and the situations she got herself in were fantastically funny. I also really enjoyed the author’s style. Her writing was quick and to the point, with enough detail to satisfy the reader, but not too much. Overall I really enjoyed this book and absolutely cannot wait to read more of Eileen Cook!

1 comment:

So Many Books, So Little Time said...

I really like the sound of this. Glad you enjoye it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin