Friday, March 28, 2008

Into the Wild by Sarah Beth Durst

Julie is just like any other twelve year old girl. She doesn't seem to quite fit in at school, she doesn't get along with her mom, and o, she's Rapunzel's daughter! You know, the Rapunzel with the long golden hair that lives "happily ever after." This makes Julie feel even more of an outcast because of all the secrets she has to keep for her family. The biggest secret being that "The Wild", where all the fairy tale creatures live, is living under her bed. She knows that she always have to be extra careful not to let "The Wild" escape or else once again try to take over the world and recapture the fairy tale creatures who escaped. When someone makes a wish in the wishing well at Julie's Grandma's motel to release "The Wild", Julie's life is turned upside down. Before she even has a chance to do anything her mother and grandma have both been taken up by "The Wild" and Julie is left alone. Julie knows that she must rescue her mother and grandma and head off into "The Wild" accompanied by her brother Puss-in-Boots (yes, he's a cat). As she traipses through "The Wild" she is pulled into multiple stories and even starts to forge her own. While some people think that "The Wild" is all about happily ever afters, Julie is quick to realize that it has alternative motives. Will Julie be able to rescue her Mom and Grandma or will "The Wild" turn her into just another story?

I had heard so many good things about this book that I was just dying to read it. Also it's the ultimate fairy tale, and I adore fairy tales, so yet another reason it was in my "to read" pile. Wow! Why, o why, did I wait so long to read this book? It was fantastic, no phenomenal, just all around great. I got sucked into Julie's story by the end of the first sentence and couldn't tear myself away from the story. I loved how the author took a bunch of fairy tales and pulled them into the story and made them so exciting. I was so envious of Julie through the whole book that she got to go on this amazing adventure with fairy tale creatures and I didn't. The whole story just felt so real and I just couldn't get enough of it. For anyone who loves fairy tales this is a must read, or if you're just looking for an amazing book to read, run to your library or bookstore and pick up a copy of Into the Wild. You will not be disappointed in the least. Truly there aren't many words to describe this book, but I managed to find a few! Also the sequel, Out of the Wild, hits stores June 19, and you know I will be first in line to go get a copy!!

5 comments:

Rachael Stein said...

wow, that sounds really good!!

pocketz♥full♥of♥posiez said...

hey nice taste in books
i actually read a few of them
here is ur comment!!!! :)

the story siren said...

i have this in my reading pile!! i will be reading it soon! great review! love the new set-up!!

Framed said...

I'm just discovering re-told fairy tales and they are great. Thanks for your review. This one sounds good.

Heather said...

I'm very curious about this book.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin