Wednesday, January 23, 2008

The Luxe by Anna Godbersen

Imagine the juiciness of Gossip Girl, but 100 years ago in Manhattan. It may have been a long time ago, but the gossip and scandals are just as good if not better!

Elizabeth is the perfect 1800's upper society Manhattan girl. She's elegant and poised and could have any man she wants. Henry Schoonmaker is the man everyone wants but he is always into trouble and just can't seem to stay with a girl for any length of time. When Elizabeth and Henry are thrust into a relationship together in order to save one's family finances and the other's reputation. They soon become the most prestigious couple in Manhattan, but are either of them truly happy? Some people aren't so impressed by this star couple, especially Elizabeth's best friend Penelope who thought that she was going to marry Henry. Penelope is a girl used to getting what she wants, and she will not let Henry get away from her. It's just not Penelope that is making life difficult for Elizabeth, it is also the fact that Elizabeth can't seem to decide on whether or not to save her family or follow her heart. So many secrets are hidden throughout upper class Manhattan and are just waiting to be heard. The Luxe is a truly seductive and classy novel, with plenty of gossip to fulfill any girls desires!

I absolutely love this book! I have heard many different things about the book from it not being well written to it being awesome. Well I definitely side with the people that say it is awesome. However hard I tried I couldn't put the book down. After the first page it was all I could do not to turn to the end of the book and find out what happens! I was able to contain myself, and I was so glad I waited because there are so many different parts that play a role in the book that you wouldn't understand if you hadn't read the entire book. This is a great first novel from Ana Godbersen and like I said irresistible to put down. I know there is a sequel coming out in the future which is stupendous because there are so many questions left unanswered! I'm looking forward to reading more books in the Luxe series and maybe even re-reading Luxe!

This is the first book for the 1st in a series challenge. I can't wait to start more series, but hopefully I don't get too hooked that I forget to start new ones!!!

6 comments:

the story siren said...

i loved this book too!! i'm really glad that you liked it! wasn't it a good ending!!!

Tasha said...

the ending was my favorite part of the entire book! im anxious for that second book because there are so many burning question:)

Madison said...

I wasn't terribly impressed with this book. I enjoyed it, but I struggled to get into it because the writing dragged in my opinion. I'm planning on reading the sequel, but because I really liked Diana and want to know what happens to her.

Joy said...

Welcome to the First in a Series Challenge, Tasha! I look forward to seeing your list of choices.

Also, it appears as if you read YA books, so you may want to consider joining the YA Challenge that I'm hosting, as well.

Happy Reading!

Anonymous said...

the luxe series is incredible. rumors is also a page turner

Anonymous said...

This book was one of the best I've ever read. I'm so glad that the ending turned out fine.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin