Wednesday, April 8, 2009

If I Stay by Gayle Forman

Mia is the odd one out in her family. Like Mia both of her parents are involved in the music world - the punk scene - while Mia finds her niche in the classical world. The first time she touched a cello in third grade music class she knew that she had found her passion. She quickly excelled and now, a senior in high school, has a specialized professor and surpasses most college students that she accompanies. She even hopes to go to Julliard in the fall, even if it means leaving her awesome boyfriend Adam behind.

Early on a February morning though life for Mia changes drastically. What was supposed to be snow day fun suddenly turned into the biggest nightmare that Mia has ever faced and it all happened in an instant. Now Mia has to make the biggest choice of her life, to hold on or let go.


I have to start off by saying; I’m going to try as hard as possible not to gush about this book, as it is truly great. I sat down and read it all at once, never taking my eyes off the page and just entranced by Mia’s story, not wanting it to end. After I was done, my jaw literally fell open in awe of the greatness!

Let me start with the writing style. Gayle Forman managed to create this lyrical tone in the book that made the story dance through the reader’s mind and implant itself in their heart. The words flowed off the page, just like they were notes coming off a cello. She created deep emotion in a short time and created a story that hits close to home, regardless of who you are or the experiences you have had.

The story itself was absolutely breathtaking. To have to go through what Mia does is heart wrenching. The decisions she has to make and the things she has to see are so vivid, that you feel like you are right there in her position. I also love how music, in all its shapes and forms, are an essential part of the book; it’s a great finishing touch to the book.

Now we come to the characters, my absolute favorite part! Mia herself was fascinating. She had so much to offer to the reader by sharing her story and she expressed her emotions freely. The words truly did come off the page in her voice and she became real. Not only was Mia great, but the supporting characters were fabulous as well. They were all so real and you could feel the love in their voices and the hurt that they felt. I especially loved the grandfather, who was quiet almost the whole time until one moment when he said one of the most memorable quotes in the entire story. For me this just added to the amazingness.

I am still in awe of this book and urge you all to run and grab a copy as soon as possible, so that you might experience the magic of this story for yourself. It is horribly real and extremely emotional, but it leaves you with so much. I absolutely cannot wait to read more of Gayle Forman’s future works, as she is truly a rising star.

7 comments:

Melissa O. said...

Great review! I've heard so many good things about this book, and after reading your review I've finally added it to my wish list :-)

Erika Powell said...

great review! everyone has been raving about this book and I NEED to read it.

Anonymous said...

Awesome review! Makes me want to read this book even more

Anonymous said...

I just read this and LOVE LOVED it! Great review!

GreenBeanTeenQueen said...

I loved this one too-such an amazing read. Great review!

Readingjunky said...

I can't wait to read this one.

prophecygirl said...

Nice review. I loved this book too, I think it'll be huge, and I can't wait for the film!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin