Friday, June 20, 2008

And Another Awesome Author Visit: Claudia Gray

Today I am pleased to present the ever fabulous Claudia Gray. Her debut novel, Evernight, hit shelves just a couple of weeks ago and is already getting tons of praise. It is definitely a must read for everyone. For my review click here. I have here a great interview with Claudia that I think you will all enjoy. So read on and enjoy getting to know yet another awesome author!

_________________________________________________

1. What inspired you to write about vampires as opposed to other sorts of creatures?

I plan to write about other sorts of creatures too! Vampires simply wound up being first in line.

2. In the book Bianca does not like Dracula, do you share the same dislike, or is it one of your favorites?

I enjoy Dracula -- I wouldn't call it a favorite, but I do like it. I can see why Bianca's doesn't, though; it can be fairly slow going in parts.

3. How does it feel being a publicized author? Do you think you'll have the same feeling when your next book comes out?

Mostly it feels fabulous. I love hearing from readers who have enjoyed the book, and it was a real thrill to see it on bookstore shelves for the first time. But I wasn't prepared for how much time it would take. Next time I'll be ready.

4. When did the idea of Evernight come to you?

The rough idea of the story took form during late 2005 and very early 2006. At that time, I only had the plot of the first book. I would say that I had the rough form of the four-book arc planned by the end of 2006 (although some details change all the time).

5. Now I know that there are going to be four Evernight books, but can you tell us a little bit about what's going to happen in them? Are you working on any other books that don't have to do with Evernight?

I can't tell you too much! However, I can promise that Lucas will return to beautifully complicate Bianca's life all over again, and that Bianca will become much more curious about all the aspects of the vampire world that she's taken for granted before. Balthazar, Vic and Raquel will have major parts to play in future books, as will Mrs. Bethany. We'll learn a lot more about Black Cross, too, as well as other supernatural creatures in this world.

I'm currently working some other YA paranormal ideas and researching a thriller I hope to write for older readers.

6. What's the best part about being a writer? The worst?

The best part is the writing itself -- I love figuring out who the characters are, what happens to them, where we go next. I honestly don't know that there is a "worst," because so far, the process has been very rewarding.

7. Do you write full time? If not, what do you do?

Not full-time yet! By day, I do in-house communications for a large law firm. This means I write their newsletters. My office is in Times Square, which is about as much glamour as I can claim.

8. Where is your ideal writing location?

At home, in the coziest chair in the house, with some soft music playing.

9. Do you see a lot of yourself in any of the characters? If so, which one?
I see some of myself in virtually all the characters. I think that's fairly important, really -- to identify with everyone, at least a little bit. (Maybe not Erich, though.)

10. What's one quirky thing about yourself that you think readers would find interesting?

I have a tryout for "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?" in a couple weeks. Wish me luck!

11. Are there any questions you wish I'd asked?

"Would you like this completely legitimate check for a million dollars?"

The answer would've been yes, by the way. No need to worry about my game-show audition then!

_________________________________________________________

One last thing....

The winner of last weeks copy of La Petite Four was.....

Blair!!!

Please email me your address so I can send the book your way!! Thanks everyone for entering, I loved reading your responses.

5 comments:

Lenore Appelhans said...

Ooh.. good luck with your millionaire tryout Claudia!

Alea said...

I just bought this book and can't wait to read it. I was very excited to see the second books cover in your post! They are beautiful and bold!

Barrie said...

Very fun interview! And I second Leonore's good luck wishes, Claudia, for your Millionaire tryout!

the story siren said...

awesome author visit! i can't wait to read more of Claudia's writing. good luck on Millionaire!!

Liviania said...

Good luck with the audition!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin