Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Undone by Brooke Taylor

Kori Kitzler is different - to say the least. She is beautiful, mysterious, the subject of rumors, and has quite a reputation with the guys. One fateful day in eighth grade, average girl Serena Moore walks into the bathroom and runs into Kori. Serena is shocked when Kori tells her they are more alike then she thinks, but instead of turning around and running out of the bathroom Serena stays. This marks the beginning a deep and powerful friendship between the girls. Since that fateful day the girls have been joined at the hip and share everything with each other.

Now it’s the girls sophomore year in high school and their friendship has grown even more. When Serena’s favorite teacher, Doc, assigns the class the task to create a list of five things they would never do- a way to tempt fate, Serena doesn’t take it seriously at all since she doesn’t trust fate. Serena and Kori continue on with their lives leaving the list forgotten until tragedy strikes Kori. Serena is devastated and one of the only things she has left is Kori’s list. In a way to commemorate Kori, Serena decides to take Kori’s list and do everything on it. While the list puzzles Serena she knows that she can’t leave anything undone. While she tries to finish Kori’s last wishes, Serena ends up learning more about herself than she ever would have been able to if life had just stayed the same.


This is another amazing book from a debut Class of 2k8 author. Undone was completely spell binding. While I am nothing like Kori or Serena I felt so connected to them and wished they were my friends. The loyalty they had for each other was so real that it made me think how lucky they were to be friends, and how lucky I am to have friends. I also really liked the writer’s style. To me it was a tad different which made the whole book a refreshing read. Now the story itself was also mesmerizing. It totally grabbed me in and wouldn’t release its grasp until the very last page. The story took twists and turns that I never suspected in the least. I think that half the time I was reading my mouth was hanging open in shock of what had just happened. My only complaint is the book ended! I seriously didn’t want this book to end, it was just that good. I seriously cannot wait for more from Brooke Taylor, as I expect they will be just as amazing. I definitely recommend this book to everyone and anyone. It’s a bright light that just can’t be put out, that reminds us all of how valuable friendship is and how much we should treasure it.

13 comments:

Tasha said...

I was surprised to find that I enjoyed this book, too. It has depth and a message, which sets it apart from many books written about teenage girls.

Breanna said...

Wow, this book sounds really good. That was a great review. I'll have to read it sometime.

-Breanna

Melissa Walker said...

I love this cover, and I really want to read it!

Kyle said...

would this be a good book for a guy?

RR2 said...

I've been wanting to read this book since I first saw it on the Class of 2K8 list. It sounds incredible.

Liv said...

i have never actually heard of this book before, but after your review I'm definitely checking it out!

Brooke Taylor said...

Thanks for the amazing review!! I'll be pointing lots of people to it!

Kyle--while the book is about two girls and their friendship, I don't think it is a "girly" book at all. So far I've only heard from two male readers--Jay Asher (author of New York Times bestseller Thirteen Reasons Why)-- gave it this blurb: "Beautifully intense. Brooke Taylor hooked me with the very first line and never let go."

and a male teen librarian who has now read it twice :-)

So, yeah, I think male readers would enjoy it.

Thanks again, Tasha!!

Kyle said...

Sounds great, I will have to read it when it comes out!

Carolina said...

Hey nice. I'll check this out when it comes out.
I'm having a contest. Come check it out.

Anonymous said...

Great review -- I'm catching up on blogs now that I'm home from CA. Hope all is well!

Anonymous said...

I have this book (from the library) and can't wait to read it!

Anonymous said...

This book brought me to tears. I was literally sobbing at some parts. The words brought me to believe I was actually Serena and felt what she felt. It was the best book I've read in a really long time.

Anonymous said...

This book made me figure myself out, I loved it, Its my favorite book. Kori and Serena remind me of myself, I love how affectionate Kori is, it reminds me of me and my Kira-Bear :) This book made me cry and I love it. I taught me that if my Kira-Bear (bestfriend) died, I wouldn't commit suicide, she would always be with me, In my heart♥

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin